Y-axis pulley popping out

The enclosed model.

Y-axis pulley popping out

Postby hnizami » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:32 pm

The Y-axis pulley has popped out of its bearing twice in the past week. Is there a correct way to replace this piece if it comes out? I'm using the System 30M with MK1-250, printing with ABS. Print quality is fantastic and I'm not seeing any specific warning signs.

Husain
Attachments
image000000-1.jpg
This first occurred on February 17.
image000000-1.jpg (57.23 KiB) Viewed 10978 times
image000000.jpg
Despite the screw being covered the bed is in tram. Glass placement was correct the second time this happened.
image000000.jpg (65.77 KiB) Viewed 10978 times
hnizami

Re: Y-axis pulley popping out

Postby Davo » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:26 pm

Hi Husain,

That pulley is press-fitted into the bearings, which are both press-fitted into the extrusion. We do slightly deform the extrusion, to grab the bearings, and the pulley, to grab the bearings, but occasionally it does work free.

You may very slightly deform the pulley (we use a dimpled vise with light pressure) or you may apply a very, very thin layer of gorilla glue (or similar) and press the pulley back in. Too much adhesive might work its way into the bearings, and that would be bad. I'm happy to skype and walk you through this if you like.

If you are not comfortable with this, please email me and we'll discuss shipping the arm to us where we can do this for you.

Let me know if you have any questions,
Davo
Hyrel 3D's Primary Simplificator
Ha, ha, made you look!
Davo
Site Admin

Postby Coder96 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:29 pm

A better long term solution maybe to drill and tap the back of the pulley. With a thread locked bolt with a washer to lock on the inside ring on the bearing.

Looking at how the anodised layer has worn off. It may just be some time till it would work it's way out again.
Coder96

Postby Davo » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:50 pm

Coder96 wrote:A better long term solution maybe to drill and tap the back of the pulley. With a thread locked bolt with a washer to lock on the inside ring on the bearing.

Colt, that may be beyond the skillset of many of our users, but thanks. As this has happened to about one percent of our units, I'll speculate that we did not perform a perfect press fit job.
Ha, ha, made you look!
Davo
Site Admin

Postby hnizami » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:44 pm

Thank you, I have been able to resolve this using the glue approach. Should this happen again, I'll try a more permanent approach.

Husain
hnizami

Postby Davo » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:49 pm

Glad to hear it, Husain.

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Ha, ha, made you look!
Davo
Site Admin

Postby cgriffin » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:16 pm

In trying to adjust the belt tension, I found my bearings had also been pulled out. One was in, so it was not obvious, but that one was shot from the side load. There was zero friction to replace the bearings. (Pretty much sloppy loose, if the belt wasn't applying a side load.)

I drilled and tapped the shaft, with an additional bearing on the right side for the bolt. Hopefully this will keep things in place.
cgriffin

Postby Davo » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:41 pm

As mentioned, these are press-fit by hand. There may be some variance in precisely how tightly each was press fit. It sounds like you have a good workaround. Please let me know if you need assistance.
Ha, ha, made you look!
Davo
Site Admin

Return to The Systems (Original, 30, 30M)