ABS Settings

Converting meshes to GCode; recipe sharing.

ABS Settings

Postby Davo » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:42 pm

Just to let you know, based on feedback and testing, I've been having better results with 250 steps (instead of 300) on the prime/umprime with ABS.
Hyrel 3D's Primary Simplificator
Ha, ha, made you look!
Davo
Site Admin

Re: ABS Settings

Postby cgriffin » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:53 pm

If a box with rounded corners (.05" radius) starts in a corner, printing outside first, and that corner is square from too much extrusion, which adjustments should be made? More unprime, or less prime?
cgriffin

Postby Davo » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:27 pm

Is ONLY that one corner off? How many perimeters?

If only that one corner, and multiple perimiters: Slic3r does internal perimiters before external perimeters, so it would be the unprime steps or the unprime dwell time. Cut each in half and retry.

If only that one corner, and only one perimeter: Try as above; if no change, revert and try prime steps and prime dwell time.

If all corners, remodel with a greater radius.

Let me know how it comes out.
Ha, ha, made you look!
Davo
Site Admin

Postby cgriffin » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:32 am

Davo wrote:Is ONLY that one corner off? How many perimeters?
Yes. Three perimeters.

If only that one corner, and multiple perimiters: Slic3r does internal perimiters before external perimeters, so it would be the unprime steps or the unprime dwell time. Cut each in half and retry.
I think I changed it to do the outside first, in an attempt to get a better outer perimeter. I will have to check, when I can...
It has been a while since I changed it, but it may have been an attempt to make the outer perimeter smoother. (After my thread about the outer perimeter leaving a notch.)

If all corners, remodel with a greater radius.
This is not really a viable option; I need to be able to to achieve reproducible results with any model.
cgriffin

Postby Davo » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:43 pm

cgriffin wrote:
Davo wrote:If only that one corner, and multiple perimiters: Slic3r does internal perimiters before external perimeters, so it would be the unprime steps or the unprime dwell time. Cut each in half and retry.

I think I changed it to do the outside first, in an attempt to get a better outer perimeter. I will have to check, when I can...
It has been a while since I changed it, but it may have been an attempt to make the outer perimeter smoother. (After my thread about the outer perimeter leaving a notch.)

Okay, if you are doing external perimeters first, then that is a combination of steps and dwell time on the prime move. Reduce both (try 50%) and let me know how it performs.

-Davo
Ha, ha, made you look!
Davo
Site Admin

Postby PCVISION » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:40 am

Hi,

I'm new to this al,i've got my System since Thursday, everything is going wel.
Exept one thing. Each time my printer starts a new layer, for example in the corner, is lays to much material so it blobs out.
You can see it in the picture thats underneath (Click my dropbox link). It's also in the ring just underneath.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/492 ... 191902.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/492 ... 113629.jpg

I've set slicer to start Always at the same place, to it will be that corner. Probely it has something to do with the prime and unprime settings.
But since i'm new to this i'm afraid to change something there and make it broken... :roll: Before this printer I changed everything in Slicer self.
From what I can read repetrel doesn't do anything with the retract settings in slicer.

Strange thing is, the second picture has the letter Y on it, and that is printed great. So there are the prime & unprime settings ok...
I've printed it multiple times, also with autoprep gcode. Everytime I get the same result.

What can I do about it ?

My prime/unprime settings are the standard one's: 250 steps

Best regards
Jan Wynen
PCVISION

Postby Davo » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:33 pm

Jan, this is a simple fix. In the slicer, UNCHECK the box for "retract on layer change" and this will correct the extra deposition at layer change.

The root cause is that we don't simply execute the gcode, we interpret it. We see an E value on the layer change move and calculate our own flow - not realizing that it is a negative E value.

Uncheck, reslice, and let me know how it turns out.

Thanks,
Davo

ps, also, best settings for ABS is to reduce your dwell time to 50 for both prime and unprime.
Ha, ha, made you look!
Davo
Site Admin

Postby PCVISION » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:47 pm

Davo,

No retraction settings have been engaged, so I cannot change anything.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/492 ... tem30M.jpg

Where could I find those dwell settings ?

Best regards
Jan
PCVISION

Postby Davo » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:28 pm

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26

Although under repetrel 2.x there are now separate pages for prime and unprime settings.
Ha, ha, made you look!
Davo
Site Admin

Postby PCVISION » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:14 pm

Davo,

It didn't change the problem.

I have the test version of slicer 1.2.7 Karl gave it to us.
After some testing Karl has found the problem.

the Z SPeed is 3600
G1 Z.55 F3600
this makes us think that we are going at 3600mm per minute, but the z
axis is slow, 250mm per minute, because of all the mass of the table arm.
so the material is coming out at 15x the correct rate during the Z move

He's going to make some changes so repetrel can handle the new slicer. :)

Best regards
Jan
PCVISION

Next

Return to Slicing, Recipes & Settings