Prime & UnPrime settings

Converting meshes to GCode; recipe sharing.

Prime & UnPrime settings

Postby cgriffin » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:21 am

Can you convert the prime settings in this photo to millimeters?
http://hyrel3d.net/downloads/images/rea ... trings.png

As mentioned elsewhere, I am trying out Simplify3D, and its ooze control settings are in mm. I did not see a setting in that program for prime & unprime commands, so it seems like it might be easiest to use their gui settings.

Thanks.
cgriffin

Re: Prime & UnPrime settings

Postby Davo » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:30 pm

Cliff,

This is a Karl question. Our prime/unprime numbers are in pulses to the stepping motor, so I don't know how that translates to mm.

Please share what you find out, as I expect some other users will want to use other slicers, and you can benefit from each others' experimentation.

Thanks,
Davo
Hyrel 3D's Primary Simplificator
Ha, ha, made you look!
Davo
Site Admin

Postby cgriffin » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:55 am

So, who is Karl? Is he going to chime in, or do I have to contact him?
cgriffin

Postby Davo » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:38 pm

Karl is our lead engineer.

The answer is that we don't process gcode commands to prime or unprime from any slicer.

We generate prime/unprime commands based on the head settings (Steps and Rate for the prime/unprime and Time for the dwell) as the printer changes from a printing move to a nonprinting move (unprime), or from a nonprinting move to a printing move (prime).

How do we know the difference? G1 commands with E values are printing moves; G1 commands without E values are nonprinting moves.

While we're on the topic, I should explain the Auto Prep Gcode button; this reads through the code and replaces any nonprinting move of 1mm or less with a small E value, to make it a (slightly) printing move, so that there isn't needless priming/unpriming going on (because that can affect the quality of the print).

Thanks for your question; please let me know if you have more.
Ha, ha, made you look!
Davo
Site Admin

Postby exforma23 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:18 pm

As mentioned elsewhere, I am trying out Simplify3D,

cgriffen,
I'd be very interested to hear about your experience using Simplify3D on the Hyrel. My System 30m is in transit, as we speak, and everything I've seen of Simplify3D seams to place it ahead of all other slicers in terms of functionality. So, I'm eager to give it a try.
Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks
exforma23

Postby Davo » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:38 pm

I should also mention that we do not take extrusion specifics from the gcode from any slicer. We do a simple boolean check for an E value. If it is a printing move, we generate flow based on Nozzle Diameter and Layer Thickness data stored in the head section of the program (downloaded from the head, but possibly edited by the user afterward).
Ha, ha, made you look!
Davo
Site Admin

Postby cgriffin » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:30 pm

exforma23 wrote:cgriffen,
I'd be very interested to hear about your experience using Simplify3D on the Hyrel. My System 30m is in transit, as we speak, and everything I've seen of Simplify3D seams to place it ahead of all other slicers in terms of functionality. So, I'm eager to give it a try.
Any insight would be much appreciated.

I have not had time to fine tune it. Obviously the "included" sclic3r was tuned specifically for the machine. However, I have printed a couple parts. The number of places to edit layer thickness and width is extremely annoying; if I do get Simplify3d working, I may end up trying to make it so it can override any settings within the printhead. I would much rather have a machine where I just select the settings within the software, all in one place.

Having said that, here are my first observations. With the built-in PC, Slic3r is almost unusable with its (lack of) speed. It is pathetically slow even with a gen3 Core I7, and even worse with that Celeron. Slic3r takes 6 times as long to slice anything as Simplify3d takes. That is a measured and calculated number, not an approximation. If it takes 3 seconds with Simplify3d, it takes 18 with Slic3r. Good luck if you are trying to work on a large part--I have printed some parts that took over an hour to slice with Slic3r.

Opening files is an issue with Slic3r, too--both in speed and reliability. Slic3r crashed when trying to open a large model that needed repairing. Simplify3d would open it and show the errors. As for speed, in Simplify3d, I was able to open a file, slice it, and start printing faster than Slic3r could even open it.

Overall print times are similar, however, Simplify3d may be slightly slower (according to Repetrels built-in . On the other hand, I did not verify the settings were exactly the same, just close.

The print quality did not quite match Slic3r, but again, I believe that is because I had not yet figured out the settings. It could also have to do with the print head overriding the extrusion amount. I don't know how long it will be before I get a chance to play with it again.

My simple gut feelings for the programs are that Simplify3d is more professional, yet less mature (i.e. with fewer infill options), and Slic3r is more mature but kluged together for a hobbyist to get something that works for himself. Even though I bought it less than two months ago, Simplify3d has had at least 2 updates since then. (I have installed it three times.) Slic3r has not had as many updates within that time.
cgriffin

Return to Slicing, Recipes & Settings