Outer perimeters <> Slic3r Perimeter setting

Converting meshes to GCode; recipe sharing.

Outer perimeters <> Slic3r Perimeter setting

Postby cgriffin » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:37 am

What would cause the number of outer perimeters (2) to not equal the settings set in Slic3r (3)? I was wondering why there was such a huge gap between my infill and perimeter, and tried playing with the overlap, and then I realized it was not giving me the full 3 perimeters.

Thanks...
cgriffin

Re: Outer perimeters <> Slic3r Perimeter setting

Postby Davo » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:33 pm

The only thing that I can think of is if the item isn't thick enough to allow a third perimeter. Other than that, I have never encountered this.

We do recommend a 10% overlap between perimeters and infill, just to ensure a good print.
Hyrel 3D's Primary Simplificator
Ha, ha, made you look!
Davo
Site Admin

Re: Outer perimeters <> Slic3r Perimeter setting

Postby cgriffin » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:12 pm

The part is nearly maxed out, so size is not an issue.

The overlap was originally set to 15%, so I increased it to 25, and I couldn't see a difference. When I bumped it up to 60, and the infill still was not touching the perimeter was when I noticed the missing perimeter layer. I'll look for a Slic3r update.

Update:
I updated to the latest versions (Repetrel, firmware, Slic3r). I changed Perimeters to 4, and now I get ZERO perimeters.

The four perimeters are drawn in the g-code preview, however the word "perimeter" does not appear anywhere in the g-code, except once in the top few lines. The g-code descriptions go straight from the skirt to the infill. The print goes straight from the skirt to the infill. This is frustrating.
cgriffin

Return to Slicing, Recipes & Settings