Simplify3D Settings

Converting meshes to GCode; recipe sharing.

Simplify3D Settings

Postby RiC0MD » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:30 pm

Hi guys,

I know in the broadcast I promised settings in a few days and I'm lagging a bit. Nailing down the last issues and should have them before the end of the week. Sorry for the delay!
RiC0MD

Re: Simplify3D Settings

Postby cgriffin » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:24 pm

I would certainly appreciate that. I have it, and have made a few tolerable prints, but have not had time myself to adjust settings to get good quality. Even using the same settings as slic3r, it always overextruded on the infill.

I am mostly looking forward to it because it slices a full 6 times faster than slic3r. I have to do something else while slic3r does its thing. It also always took just a little longer to print, but maybe that is a symptom of improper settings, and also why it is overfilling.

OTOH, Simplify3d has that bug hanging on where a boss on top of a surface might not have good bonding. [EDIT: Fixed in v3.0]
Last edited by cgriffin on Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cgriffin

Postby Davo » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:06 am

cgriffin wrote:Even using the same settings as slic3r, it always overextruded on the infill.

We don't use the E values in any slicer's gcode output. We merely check to see if a move has an E value (is a printing move), and we generate our own flow based on path width, layer height, pulses per nanoliter, and the feed rate scale.

For more details, see viewtopic.php?f=16&t=69
Hyrel 3D's Primary Simplificator
Ha, ha, made you look!
Davo
Site Admin

Postby RiC0MD » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:42 am

Hi Guys,

So here it is, still a work in progress, have to do 1 more test print before I feel its 100%, but it should be pretty good.

So some notes:
-S3D outputs M106 (Fan on/off) as PWM values, Hyrel accepts only 0-100, so the included exe in the zip must have the exe placed in your Simplify3D folder. The output post processing will execute this and it will fix the M106 commands. (See below its the source for the C# exe should you want to build it yourself.
-This is setup for a .35MM head, NOT .5, if your using a .5 you will need to adjust the nozzle and extruded widths
-If you change the layer height to anything but .1, you *MUST* open the scripts section, go to layer change g-code, and set M756 S0.1 to whatever layer height your going to use.
-While I do have heads t0-4 setup in the profile, I've only tested this with 1 head, so results may vary.

private static void Main(string[] args)
{
bool debug = false;
bool fixprime = false;
bool fixfan = false;

DateTime startDateTime = DateTime.Now;

if (!args.Any())
return;

if (File.Exists(args[0]) == false)
return;

for (int i = 1; i < args.Count(); i++)
{
switch (args[i])
{
case "--debug":
debug = true;
break;

case "--fixprime":
fixprime = true;
break;

case "--fixfan":
fixfan = true;
break;
}
}

if (debug)
{
Console.WriteLine("Debug mode enabled. Fix Priming enabled {0}, Fix Fan PWM>Hyrel enabled {1}",
fixprime.ToString(), fixfan.ToString());
Console.WriteLine("Started: " + DateTime.Now.ToString(CultureInfo.InvariantCulture));

}

string[] incGcode = File.ReadAllLines(args[0]);

for (int i = 0; i < incGcode.Count(); i++)
{
if (fixprime && incGcode[i].StartsWith("G1") && !incGcode[i].Contains("E") &&
(incGcode[i].Contains("X") || incGcode[i].Contains("Y")))
{
if (debug)
Console.WriteLine("Line #" + i.ToString(CultureInfo.InvariantCulture) +
" Found print movement (G1) without E step, setting E0.01");
incGcode[i] = incGcode[i] + " E0.01";
}

if (fixfan && incGcode[i].StartsWith("M106"))
{
Console.WriteLine("Line #" + i.ToString(CultureInfo.InvariantCulture) +
" Found M106 from PWM to Hyrel (0-100)");
int pos1 = incGcode[i].IndexOf("S", StringComparison.Ordinal);
double fanSpeedPwm = Convert.ToDouble(incGcode[i].Substring(pos1 + 1, incGcode[i].Length - pos1 - 1));
fanSpeedPwm = Math.Round(fanSpeedPwm/255*100);
incGcode[i] = "M106 S" + fanSpeedPwm;
}
}
File.WriteAllLines(args[0], incGcode);
Console.WriteLine("Finished: " + DateTime.Now.ToString(CultureInfo.InvariantCulture) + " Took " + (DateTime.Now - startDateTime).Milliseconds + "ms");

if (!debug) return;
Console.WriteLine("Operation finished.");

System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(3000);
}
Attachments
S3D.zip
100 Micron .35 Head with Fixer
(5.68 KiB) Downloaded 278 times
RiC0MD

Postby RiC0MD » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:23 am

Pleased to report that my latest prints all seem to be coming out very good once the hyrelfixer.exe I wrote is ran to fix the fan speeds that S3D outputs.

Take a look at the right one, this is the latest settings/tweaks.
Attachments
10507009_10152614917876394_7289738019429209177_o.jpg
10507009_10152614917876394_7289738019429209177_o.jpg (277.53 KiB) Viewed 10668 times
RiC0MD

Postby PCVISION » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:11 pm

Hi,

I've read this topic, I was wondering if someone of you guys could tell me if Simplify 3D is realy better than Slic3r ?
They don't offer a demo, and some people say it's rubbish some say it's great.

So is it really that great ? Also does it work after changing these settings with a Hyrel, or is the standard Slic3r simple easier and better ?

Thanks!
PCVISION

Postby RiC0MD » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:14 pm

If you're looking at S3D for the Hyrel only, I'd say don't purchase, atleast not at this point. Working with Karl and team, getting closer to really nice prints, but Slic3r is still going to be the only major slicer out their formally supported by Hyrel (Until they release their own that is :))
RiC0MD

Postby cgriffin » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:09 pm

It all depends on what you want out of it, and how you define "better". Overall, I think S3d is "better" than Slic3r, but it is not as mature Slic3r. Maturity usually makes software better in some ways. I haven't played a lot with it, primarily because I haven't had much time, but also because of a frustrating and unique feature of the Hyrel printer. (See below.)

S3d is fully 6 times faster than Slic3r. That's better no matter who you are.

...However, it has a bug with bosses on top of a flat surface that requires a workaround. [EDIT: This has been fixed in v3.0] Fortunately, that workaround is available because of one of S3d's advanced capabilities, which IIRC, is not available with Slic3r--different slicing settings for different Z heights. That allows you to make (for instance) a statue with partially filled body but fully filled above the neck. It also lets you have different settings for different 3d models in one print job.

I like the S3d interface slightly better, but that is minor.

S3d does not have honeycomb infill (lack of maturity). [EDIT: This has been added since the original post] OTOH, can that be so critical that you can't just use rectilinear?

The biggest problem, from my viewpoint, is with the Hyrel itself, which also reveals its lack of maturity. It has a "feature" that neuters every slicer...the Hyrel extruder board re-calculates the extrusion rate for you. I think this was one of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time, but just did not work out as beneficial as hoped. (I am trying to be diplomatic here.) It is only beneficial if every layer and every extrusion needs to be identical (old school thinking), but for every other use, well, with a Hyrel, there is no other choice.

When does this matter? For instance, S3d has the ability to double-up on infill width and/or height, so you get a nice high-res perimeter with a 4x speed infill. Can the Hyrel handle that? No, because all of the E values are ignored and recalculated, based on a "one size fits all" assumption programmed into the firmware settings. (I made a feature request , and it is "in the works".)
In addition, this Hyrel "feature" makes it very laborious to change the extrusion height or width, since you have to change it in many different places. (In the extruder firmware, two selections for recipes on the Slicing tab, plus the two recipe files within the actual Slic3r program.)

Anyway, once Hyrel finishes implementing a fix for their "unique feature", I would say definitely, YES, go for S3d. Changing extruder nozzles, extrusion widths or heights will be intuitive, and all in one place (in S3d). The one major bug in S3d can be worked around if not addressed by then. [edit: Addressed in v3.0] Your slicing will no longer require a long lunch break; maybe just a coffee break.
Last edited by cgriffin on Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
cgriffin

Postby cgriffin » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:46 pm

I just tried the new Simplify3d version 3.0. It is so nice clicking the "prepare to print" button, and having it done almost immediately...

They fixed the bug with the bosses:
https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic. ... 726#p11726

https://www.simplify3d.com/software/changelog/
cgriffin

Postby Davo » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:24 pm

Thanks for the update. :)
Hyrel 3D's Primary Simplificator
Ha, ha, made you look!
Davo
Site Admin

Next